View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Yeah but what they don't tell you is that a lot of the playeres hated Tiger Stadium for those very reasons. The outfield was uneven and there were dips, patches and sprinkler heads all over. The flagpole to straightaway center was in play. Pitchers loved it, sure. But from what I've heard from the Tiger great fielders, it was a very frustrating place to play.

There were also tons (TONS) of sightline issues for the fans. Dozens of places in the park where a pillar stood in between you and home plate.

I love the new stadium. It's beautiful, and makes Detroit actually look like a safe, enjoyable place to live. Tigers Stadium I remember being frightened walking in that neighborhood when I was a kid.
I loved old Tigers Stadium and it's uniqueness, but when they built Comerica, they had to leave some of the past behind.

I do miss the old stadium, but Comerica is a nice ball park...and they've won enough big games there to create some good memories in it.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the last game at old Tigers Stadium, which was special. I was at one of the first games at Comerica when it opened up.

I saw the Tigers close out the American League Division Series against Oakland in 2006.

I also had a ticket for Game 6 of the World Series that year....but St. Louis closed the series out in 5 games.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote