View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
2. I also wanted to answer the 3rd down play calling question from the podcast questions thread since it was a good one. We had only TWO 3rd downs less than 3rd and 5 in the Jets game (both 3-2) and one of them was bumped to a 3-7 thanks to a Decker false start. That's the primary contributor to poor 3rd down conversion rate. We averaged 3-8 on 3rd down which is unacceptable. Out of those, most were STILL called run plays or short screen/flat passes. That's not an opportunity to succeed on a consistent basis. Used sparingly, those are extremely valuable 3rd down plays, but absolutely not with regularity when consistently placing yourself in 3rd and long situations. That just won't cut it.
My question is why they don't simply QB sneak on the short yardage third downs? There were at least a couple that I recall in the Jets game.

Tebow has fullback size and a knack to find seams. I can't understand why they would bother handing the ball of to Lance Ball? That alone would have led to at least two or three additional conversions.