Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #40
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes out of bounds in the end zone.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. In extra periods, enforcement of the 15-yard penalty is at the previous spot
and Team A retains possession.

II. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team A.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchdown.
III. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team B.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchback, safety.
IV. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the field of play.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. The ball remains alive, and Team A may elect the result of the play. If Team A recovers, does not score and accepts the penalty, or if the play occurs in an extra period, enforcement is at the previous spot.

VII. Team A attempts a field goal, and B23, in the end zone, goes above the crossbar and catches the ball.

RULING: Legal play.

Update 2: But, what if you were up by three and could block the field goal attempt into the end zone and recover it yourself for a safety? Might be worth it still, no? (The game cannot end on a penalty, but then youd just have to defend a free kick return rather than a field goal attempt.)
Good post. I was pretty sure it was illegal but had no clue what the rulings were if it happened. Interesting stuff.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote