View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Yeah, don't know what source that is, but I trust wikipedia over it.

Crime in Mexico (few selected passages):
Quote:
Crime continues at high levels, and is repeatedly marked by violence, especially in Monterrey, Tijuana, Ciudad Juárez, Tamaulipas, Michoacan, and the state of Sinaloa. Other metropolitan areas have lower, yet still serious, levels of crime. Low apprehension and conviction rates contribute to the high crime rate.
Quote:
Analysis of crime statistics in Mexico indicate that although the crime rate has declined over the last 100 years, there has been a significant upswing within the last two decades led by Mexico City. Since many crimes go unreported, the rates may be much higher than reported by the government.

Rape is rarely reported or punished, owing to old social norms, minor penalties for the crime, and criminal laws. In some rural areas, penalties for rape may consist of a few hours in jail, or minor fines.
Quote:
According to the CNDH, only one out of every ten crimes is reported in Mexico; this is due to lack of trust from citizens to the authorities. Furthermore, only one out of 100 reported crimes actually goes to sentencing. This means that one out of every 1000 crimes is punished
I think I'll pass on traveling to Mexico anytime soon.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote