View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #4183
AK Broncomaniac
100% Raider Hater

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
We had a cow moose... with a calf... grazing maybe 50 feet from our house a few years back when the kids were smaller. I wouldn't let them go outside to play as long as she was there... momma moose can be very, very protective (read: dangerous).

We had an interesting "wildlife watching" experience last week... a pair of bald eagles were divebombing this poor little duck on the river. The duck saw 'em and dived under the water but they were waiting for it to re-surface. The second time the duck submerged, he swam about 200 yards upstream from the eagles, who were still waiting where he went underwater... and took flight, escaping pretty much unscathed.
In Anchorage several years ago, a momma moose stomped a Japanese tourist to death when it tried to get close to the calf to take a picture. You are right... momma moose are VERY dangerous!

I've actually see an eagle pick a salmon out of the water. It had a little trouble flying off with it, but after almost stalling out, off it went. They are awesome creatures those eagles. But I say... YEA for the little duck!
AK Broncomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote