View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #4372
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

The Doors Live in Vancouver 1970. Here's a quick, off the cuff review:

I had the bootleg of this show for years (the above clip is audio from the bootleg version)and got an advance copy of it's official issue this AM. As usual with Bright Midnight releases, the sound has been cleaned up to the point of being pretty amazing for tapes recorded in 1970. This show isn't a soundboard recording (recorded on a reel to reel using only two microphones) so the sonic accomplishment is even more impressive.

About the usual night for Jim vocally here on this tour (meaning he seems only partially interested) and the band performs it's usual concert staples with it's typical aplomb (they played pretty much the same set all throughout this tour). No real surprises other than the rare appearance of "Love Me Two Times" and band going into a bit of "St. James Infirmary" & "Fever" during the instrumental break of "Light My Fire".

The reason this set stands out are the blues covers that Albert King performs with them. King's presence pushes the band and you can hear the energy level and enthusiasm increase notably on the tracks that feature him. Can a guest appearance on only four tracks make that much of a difference? The answer is yes.

3 1/2 out of a possible 5 stars...it's a fine set for Doors fanatics and collectors. For the passive fan, it's the typical 1970 tour performance. The performance is not on par with the best of Bright Midnight's 1970 releases (notably Detroit, NY, Pittsbugh & the Aquarius Second Performance) and nothing really all that indespensible. This is especially true since the King tracks (the set's main selling point) should be readily available on iTunes.

If anyone wants my old bootleg of this show, PM me and we'll work something out.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote