View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Alphonso Smith traded because he was lazy? Also, CNNSI had Gronkowski as a third round talent

Alphonso Smith Article:

Alphonso Smith understands, probably better than most, the power of perception.

In Denver, Smith, a second-round pick in 2009, was perceived as an underachiever. He was perceived as someone who maybe didn't work hard enough, as someone who because of where he was drafted maybe carried a sense of entitlement. He was perceived as too small (5-foot-9) to be a starting cornerback. He was perceived, ultimately, as a bust.

Thus, the Broncos traded Smith -- for whom they traded a first-round pick in 2010 for the right to move up and select -- to the Lions on Saturday for tight end Dan Gronkowski, a fourth-string tight end taken 255th in 2008.

"I was shocked," Smith said Monday. "If I said I wasn't, I'd be lying to you."

But the more he thought about it, the more he made sense of what happened, and he's grateful for the chance to form new perceptions.

"It's really good to have a clean slate," he said. "I allowed certain individuals back in Denver to form a perception of me, and I paid for it. Hence, the trade. So it's really good for me and my family to be in a new place and in a new town with new teammates just to try to start it all over again."

Smith didn't blame anybody but himself for the negative perceptions in Denver.

"You allow it," he said. "Just in the way you carry yourself around the facility, the way you practice, the way you play. There are a lot of things that go into helping someone form a perception of you, a perception you don't want to give off. Even if it wasn't the case, it's still a perception that you gave them the room to make."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100907/SPORTS0101/9070354/1126/SPORTS/Alphonso-Smith-looks-for-a-new-start-with-the-Lions#ixzz0zqIVenZ3

Position:
TE Class:
Senior School:
Maryland Conference:
ACC Ht., Wt.:
6-5.5, 254 40 Time:

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter who posted career numbers of 29/287/3 as a senior after junior totals of seven receptions and 66 receiving yards.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized tight end prospect who plays much faster than his forty time. Quickly gets off the snap into routes, displays a burst of speed, and extends his hands to make the reception away from his frame. Gets vertical and adjusts in midair to come down with the difficult catch. Uses his frame to shield away opponents and protect the pass. Smooth moving around the field, and shows a good degree of quickness in his all-around game. Breaks down well, and plays with good knee bend. Solid strength at the point, and removes linebackers from the action.

NEGATIVES: Inconsistent hands and does not show the ability to pluck the fastball from the air. Lacks blocking balance and does not finish blocks.

ANALYSIS: Gronkowski is a terrific athlete with a lot of upside potential. He's could quickly find a home as a second tight end in the NFL, and he has all the tools necessary to develop into a number one at the position.
PROJECTION: Third/Fourth Round

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...#ixzz0zqHgdHiI

Even though he fell in the draft, at least some scouts were very high on him coming out of school. It is especially nice to know that he has all the tools necessary to be a number one tight end.

So all in all, getting him back in the Alphonso Smith debacle wasn't that bad.

Last edited by bronco0608; 09-17-2010 at 08:10 PM..
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links