Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6899396.story

Martz feeling the love with Cutler
New Bears offensive coordinator as enamored as ever with QB

Jay Cutler talks with Lance Briggs on the sidelines against the Raiders. (Jonathan Daniel, Getty Images / August 22, 2010)

8:43 p.m. CDT, August 24, 2010

For anyone wondering how the Jay Cutler-Mike Martz marriage is progressing, the honeymoon appears to be ongoing, based on the way the Bears offensive coordinator gushed Tuesday.

"There's nothing about Jay that I worry about,'' Martz said. "I just wish all of you could know him like I know him right now. I know that this sounds syrupy and sappy and all that, but every day that I get to know him as a man and as a player he's pretty unusual now.

"He has great character and class and dignity with the players. Professionally, he's trying to do everything just exactly the way we ask him to do it. He's brilliant. He's not smart, he's brilliant.''
If only Martz could speak as highly of the offensive line.

Surprisingly, Martz did not lash out — at least in front of the media — about his line allowing Cutler to be sacked five times in the first half of Saturday night's loss to the Raiders. Left tackle Chris Williams struggled miserably, surrendering three sacks.

"I think with Chris, it's an aberration,'' Martz said. "I see him every day out here. I don't know what happened to him. When I look at him on tape, the technique and everything is just not who he is.

"You're always concerned when you have sacks,'' Martz continued. "… But from what we see in practice every day against what's a real good front, I think they'll be just fine. I really do.''

Cutler chuckled when asked Tuesday about displaying his mobility.

"I don't think we want to use the scrambling abilities the way we did on Saturday,'' he said. "We want to try to incorporate some nakeds and some bootlegs and stuff, maybe not in the manner that we did.

"The offensive line, they had some struggles. They were in the right spots. It was just more of a lack of setting correctly and stuff like that. They're going to take care of it. I'm not worried about it. This week (against the Cardinals) is going to be a good test for them.''

The Bears have as many as 37 different protection schemes in their arsenal, but don't expect Martz or offensive line coach Mike Tice to start exhausting their resources now. Plus Tice said the line has not had a true opportunity to develop cohesion with right guard Lance Louis in and out with an ankle injury.

"We have chosen to let our players just work and get better,'' Tice said. "We're still evaluating our players. I've only been around Chris for a couple of months. I have to find out all of his weaknesses. I have to find out where I can help him, where I can get him better.

"If I guy has a bad night, technique-wise, you continue to push him to stay focused on his technique when he's tired, stressed, whatever's bothering him. … When things are going badly, technique wins.''
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote