View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #877
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I hated the first half of the book, and kept wondering why I was sticking with it. But most of the reviews that I read raved about it, so I did. And then when it finally dawned on me why the book was titled "Pandora's Star," interest started to pick up and we were off! I'm starting to run out of pages on this one and am expecting a cliffhanger towards the end. I'm thrilled now that he follows this one with another massive story. This one would make a great graphic novel and maybe even movie, IMO. The only thing that bothers me about it is that I think Wilson Kime is a jackass. I like my starship captains to at least seem like refined, intelligent people - not uncouth unrespectable pricks. But I can look past that for the great story.
One of the things I like about Hamilton is the breath of his stories. It does take a while to unfold but once it does there is a massive chain of events in play. Some of the stories are better than others but he ties them up nicely. I love SCi Fi and not many do a space opera better then him. I lost track of how many planets and characters are involved but it is up there. Yes Kimes is a bit of a douche but he redeemed himself a little later on. He belongs behind a desk not on the bridge.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote