View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #3822
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Not even the cheesy 80's synth & congas...
Actually, the synths are pretty understated on the track - they're just being used to create a bed for the other instruments and to add a little icing. Not really prominent enough for the average listener to notice them much.

And I don't think I've ever heard the word "cheesy" applied to congas (whose presence in music, BTW, neither began nor ended with the 80s) before (and especially not when a world-class cat like Don Alias is playing them.)

Quick! Google his credits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Night Music was a great program. David Sandborn's pomposity used to grate on me a bit, but thankfully Jools Holland made up for it in spades.
Sanborn came across as himself, i.e., a serious, world-class/world renowned musician who was actually able to say something intelligent about the music (as opposed to mere taste-making/fashion policing re: the use of synths, etc.) I suppose that, by definition, all of the above translates to "pompous" in your world.

Holland, while not a bad pianist himself, was more about the show biz razzmatazz and the usual peripheral crap on NM. Just about every serious musician and/or listener I've encountered who was actually old enough to stay up late enough to watch the show when it was in production feels "Night Music" was better after Holland's departure.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote