View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #3716
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I was 10 at the time in question ('74), never saw them in concert and I totally fail to see what relevance any of that has to the discussion.
It's relevant insofar as you said "that's how I remember it."

In other words, you implied that your assessment of the state of Marriott's voice during the time frame in question was based on direct experience.

(BTW, the time frame actually starts in '71 insofar as your original assertion was that Marriott's voice started going downhill after "Rock On.")

Turns out that the "direct experience" in this case ~= "listened to the post-PF records (10-15 years ago) but never actually saw the band in concert during the aforementioned period."

FWIW, I saw HP live about a half dozen times between '71 and '74, and, although Marriott had a couple of sub-par nights (just like the rest of 'em) I can assure you that his voice was in fine form.

If you really think Marriott's voice was burned out after "Rock On," then you might want to have a listen to the live version of "Honky Tonk Women" from "Eat It" (1973.) That might be enough to make you to re-think your position (remember - there was no auto-tune or Pro Tools back in those days!)
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote