View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
So, if they have all the white people they need, why would a white person need to sign up? Do I understand that right?

Also, say you get called and told that you're needed. What's the process - do you know? Do you fly to wherever the person needing the transplant lives? Are you out for awhile? I vaguely remember someone telling me the process was pretty nasty.

I'd be willing to do it, I think. It would be incredible to know that you helped someone live - even if it wasn't altogether pleasant. But I am as white as white can be.
It's not they don't need more white people, just that they really need black, latino, and mixed race. The more people, the more matches, the more saced lives.

For the marrow transplant you would have to go to where the transplant was taking place. At least that is how I understand it. It isn't however that bad of a deal.

The put you, draw some marrow out of your pelvis, you may feel a little sore after, but 2-3 days back to normal. But that is only needed like 40% of the time. The other way is the simply hook you up to a machine that then filters out the cells they need.

So yes it would take 4-5 days out of your life and require you to travel to the hospital it is taking place at. All of that gets paid for.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote