View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #981
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
User error my ass.

The sticks suck and are completely superfluous.

Metal taste in your mouth? You're in keto. Problem solved.

Reasons they suck:

1 hydration levels varies from day to day. Hell, you could even dehydrate yourself a bit on a carb heavy diet and they'll read that you're in ketosis. And vice versa.

After you have been on a keto type diet for > 6 weeks your urine might not contain ketones as your body is using fat more efficiently for fuel

If eating the proper amount of fat/protein ratio, there are no excess ketones to piss out.

Ketone levels shift depending on the time a day. You can piss negatively in the afternoon when they're low, and positive around midnight when they peak.

And a laundry list of other reasons they suck.

Ketones are simply partially burned fat molecules, with no guarantee of the source of that fat. Explanation from one of the founders...

This quote is from Lyle McDonald himself:

"Ketones can be made from either dietary fat or body fat.
The amount of ketones made from body fat depends on the concentration of
ketones in your bloodstream (which we can indirectly measure by ketone
concentration in your urine as urinary excretion represents the difference
between ketone production and ketone utilization)

Hence, it makes sense to me that keeping blood concentration of ketones low
(by not putting in loads of dietary fat all the time or even diluting it by
drinking boatloads of water) should allow for more bodyfat to be used."
From the founder... Awesome.

Lyle McDonald is a Dan Duchaine wanna-be (with a physical education degree no less). I officially had more education in Biology, chemistry, and nutrition half way through my Sophmore year in college... He is the founder of nothing.

They are a tool Rev... a tool that has worked in the lab and in the diabetic communities for a very long time. It wasn't until the mensa types that populate the dieting and Bodybuilder forums started using them that there became problems. BB was struggling with his current regime and I suggested a tool that could give him insight ... Nothing more nothing less.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote