Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #964
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
You need to... the way atkins works is based solely on ketogenisis. If you are even 1 gram of carbs over your individual threshold the body does everything it can to continue burning glucose for enegy.

If your going to do Atkins you need to do it to the letter.

By the way Alcohol breaks down a very important chemical called lipoprotien lipase. Without this enzyme the body can not breakdown fat. Specifically subcutaneous bodyfat. Point is, the booze is destroying the one chemical needed for ketogenisis to take place... add to that you are taking in approx. double the carbs the diet calls for.

I think we just figured out why it isn't working...
That's exactly right. Even after you've been on these low carb diets for awhile you still can't increase your carb intake that high unless you're an extremely efficent fat burner. I've kept my carb intake down around 20g per day but allow a little leeway up to 30g per day.

Buff, did you ever read that PDF I sent you? That version of the low carb diet works a little better than Atkins and after the first two weeks you can eat whatever you want on the weekends. Looking forward to those weekends have kept me sane on this diet and it performs a very important function in the diet as it replenishes your glyocen levels. Also with the protein intake being low on the weekends it's been said that your body will make the most use out of the protein you take in starting on Mondays.

Also, TheDave is right about the alcohol too. It's the worst thing for a low carb diet, even worse than sugar. You ABSOLUTELY need to ban that from your diet (except for the weekends) no matter if it's a low carb light beer or not.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote