View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Casey Wiegmann wants extension before training camp

He's threating to retire if he doesn't get a deal.

Denver Broncos Pro Bowl center Casey Wiegmann is participating in offseason practices and workouts, but he expressed frustration that he has not been given a contract extension and indicated he might re-evaluate his future if he doesn't get a contract extension before training camp.

Wiegmann, who will turn 36 on July 20, considered retirement in the offseason. He decided to come back with one year left on his current contract, which he said wasn't an easy decision with new coach Josh McDaniels coming in with a new offensive system to learn. Wiegmann said if Mike Shanahan had remained coach, he believes he would have had a contract extension a week after last season was finished.

Wiegmann said there has been some contact between his agent and the Broncos, but there hasn't been any recent movement.

"It's not really going anywhere," Wiegmann said after a passing camp practice Monday. "It's kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability. I'm probably one of the more reliable players. We'll see. They have another month and a half to get something done."

Training camp begins in a little more than a month and a half, in late July. When asked if he would consider coming to training camp without a contract extension, Wiegmann said he didn't know.

"It would be tough. It would be really tough," Wiegmann said. "A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There's also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what's going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it's always a good thing."

Wiegmann, who signed with Denver last offseason and started 16 games after Tom Nalen went down with a knee injury, is slated to make $1.145 million this season. Wiegmann did not explicitly say he would retire or stay away from training camp without a contract extension, but admitted it was possible.

"There's certain things that should happen, the way I played last year," said Wiegmann, who played in his first Pro Bowl.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the team has had conversations with Wiegmann's representatives, but also indicated nothing is imminent.

"It is where it is," McDaniels said. "There's nothing much more to talk about. He is under contract, and if we can get something done we will."

When asked about the possibility of Wiegmann staying away from training camp or more, McDaniels didn't sound concerned.

"I'm not going to worry about it right now," McDaniels said. "We've had conversations, and we'll see what happens."

Wiegmann has started 127 straight games, which is most among NFL centers. He also said he has been at almost every offseason workout.

"I just know I've done my job here, I showed up the entire offseason program," Wiegmann said. "I missed one OTA (organized team activity) because we celebrated my dad's 60th birthday party. For a guy going into his 14th year, he shouldn't be doing all the stuff our weight coach is doing, and I've done everything. I'm just doing my part. Now I'm going to see what they're going to do."

He said he has participated in the offseason workouts because he wanted to show the Broncos he wants to play this season.

"I want to be here, but everything has to be the right situation, too," Wiegmann said

http://www.gazette.com/sports/wiegma...-contract.html
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links