Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #3598
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I love the Kinks. In my opinion, they were superior to the Beatles and their other British Invasion contemporaries. A lot of the Beatles stuff, such as Sgt. Peppers, sounds a bit dated with the psychedelia and goofy lyrics. Davies was a master melody maker and the working class lyrics were superb. They never got their just due in the US partly because the lyrics were very much grounded in a British working class aesthetic. But these albums are essential and at least as good as anything the Beatles put out: We Are The Village Green Preservation Society, Face to Face, Something Else By The Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies, and the sublime singles collection The Kink Kronikles.
The Kinks never really stuck to me. Oh sure, I love the early raw stuff they were famous for....after all, "You Really Got Me", "All Day And All Of The Night", "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" or even later stuff like "Sleepwalker" (to name a few) has my idea of perfect rock 'n' roll all over them....at the same time however, I really wouldn't care if I never heard "Well Respected Man", "Lola", "Celluoid Heroes" or "Come Dancing" ever again.

The Box sums up everything good enough for me I think.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote