View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #10
TheNextStep
The Enemy Within

Picked up some new stuff...

Robert Randolph & The Family Band - "Unclassified"
--I've been wearing this one out and recommending it to everyone I know. Great, great, great album. The guy is a pedal steel guitar player and he's just straight up off the hook! Most steel players that I've heard have been in the country genre (yes, I like country music) and I had no idea that this kind of sound could even be done on that instrument. Its a blues/funk vibe; all of it very positive and the majority of it up-tempo. A very fun record to listen to. If you watched the Grammys, Robert Randolph & The Family Band were the guys sandwiched in between Outkast and Parliament Funkadelic... and blew them off the stage.

Liz Phair - Liz Phair
--Decent album with lots of easy hooks. After years of toiling on that edge of "critical darling" I guess this is her "make money record" (as Blues Traveller did with "Four" or Spin Doctors did with "Pocket Full Of Kryponite"). If you dig Phair a whole lot, you'll be disappointed. If you like accessible rock, its not bad (and "Why Can't I" is a great single). I don't recommend it nearly as heartily as I do Robert Randolph.

Brand New - Deja Entendu
-- "Sic Transit Gloria" is an absolutely killer single... and the rest of the record is pretty much nothing at all like it. Its alright... but certainly not what I expected.

Last edited by TheNextStep; 02-19-2004 at 02:01 PM..
TheNextStep is offline   Reply With Quote