View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I'm not even that much of a MWC fan. I just think the BCS is a joke, and it's bad for sports. Despite having attended BYU, I could never get that excited about following a team you knew wouldn't have a real shot at winning the big prize.
I used to believe '84 BYU was the classic of example of how a mid-major could win a National Title. However, when the Cougars won it, it was an entirely different college football landscape. There were 20+ Independent teams at the time and there weren't any superconferences like you have today (SWC, Big 8, smaller SEC).

'08 Utah was a superior team to '84 BYU and they could only get a #4 ranking in the coaches. That ticked me off.

Division 1-A (FBS) should either let MWC, C-USA, WAC, MAC and Sun Belt into the fun or let them play at Division 1-AA (FCS) where they can actually compete for a title with Montana, Applachian St., Youngstown St., etc.

You're right, I don't see how having the mid-majors in their current purgatory benefits the fans of those programs. If you are a MAC program, the best you can do is earn a trip to lovely Detroit every December.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote