24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post
Quote:
Right now, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is my Calder Trophy favorite.

Also...

Quote:
2. Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings - 161 points

The Kings are flush with talented young blueliners, but Doughty is the ace. His skating and puck-moving ability is obvious, but he's also a team-leading plus-6 to go along with his pair of goals and six points.

If I were a betting man, however, I'd wager on Doughty winning the Calder for three reasons:

1. He represents this amazing moment in the NHL where teenage players have been able to step in and make a difference for their teams.

2. As good as Brassard is, it's still going to be a challenge to keep up the offensive pace he's established, even playing up with Rick Nash. At this point last season, Patrick Kane had 22 points in his Calder-winning campaign. Doughty, meanwhile, hasn't even scratched the surface of his offensive potential this season; plus, his criteria for the trophy aren't strictly numbers-based.

3. If you believe in these types of things, then a defenseman is "due" for the Calder. And there's a very good chance Doughty could be at the top of a very, very good rookie class for blueliners.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,123679
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote