View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #22
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Kopi signed till 2016.

Sorry Socal...Malkin and Crosby won't be enough for Kopi.

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA (TICKER) —The Los Angeles Kings locked up All-Star center Anze Kopitar to a lucrative seven-year contract extension on Saturday.

Terms of the deal were not officially disclosed, but the Los Angeles Times reports that the contract is worth $46.7 million.

Kopitar, the 11th overall selection of the 2005 draft, has blossomed into one of the league’s brightest young players over the last two seasons. He led the Kings with 77 points last year - 32 goals and 45 assists - and earned his first All-Star Game appearance.

“Anze is a special player, but he has also shown a strong work ethic and the type of character we believe is necessary to help shape the core of our team,” Los Angeles general manager Dean Lombardi said. “Along with some of our other young core players, the commitment Kopitar has shown at a young age should continue to improve and elevate his teammates and the franchise.”

The 21-year-old Kopitar is the first Slovenian ever to play in the NHL and played two seasons for Sodertalje SK of the Swedish Elite League before joining the Kings for the 2006-07 season. In two seasons, he has 52 goals and 86 assists over 154 games. He has one year remaining on his current contract.

“This is really exciting and a little overwhelming, to be honest,” Kopitar said. “I am happy to be apart of this organization for the next eight years. I can focus now on hockey only, and on doing what I want to do, which is to bring the Stanley Cup to L.A. I am also excited to remain with a great group of players who have gotten the same commitment from our organization.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote