View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #3160
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like Page? Or Beck?
No.

Unlike Page or Beck, Clapton aspires and purports to be a bluesman (i.e., a blues purist) in the traditional sense.

The most you can say about either Page or Beck is that both players were influenced by blues (as well as early rock and roll and other styles) early in their development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I'm sure Page could put five notes where Clapton puts one (and would) but IMO Eric puts the right one in the right place, more often than not. That's what I want from the music I listen to; Meaning. I realize there are all kinds of fingerboard acrobats out there, I've met quite a few, but there aren't a whole lot that can put the right note in the right place and convey a depth of feeling in the music. IMO, that's what Eric has pursued his entire career. Your attack on him, and his style, is nothing new. Hell, the fingerboard acrobats have been resentful of his success since he started. Usually they wrap up their argument by saying something along the lines of, "Well, his audience must be stupid." I've always said, for sheer snootiness, you can't beat musicians.
That's way off base, bro.

Jimmy Page (even by his own admission) is no monster technician on the guitar. In fact, he has a reputation for being downright sloppy a lot of the time. It's Page's creativity that makes him great. He's like a storyteller whose command of the language is shaky but whose stories are so fascinating and compelling that it doesn't matter.

Also, as quiet as it's kept, advanced technique and feeling are not always mutually exclusive or incompatible. I'm with you insofar as I can't stand to listen to "shredders" (like Yngwie Malmsteen, for example) or those guitarists who are only interested in finding out how fast they can play harmonic minor scale sequences or three-octave arpeggios, but there are players out there who have a lot of chops AND play with feeling, i.e., they sincerely mean every note they play - even when they are playing a lot of notes.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote