View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #2915
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
I remember it quite well.

Also, if you check out the video "The Life and Times of Steve Marriott," there's an interview with Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick toward the end of the film where he talks about hanging out with Marriott when Steve was in L.A. for the Stones audition.

Yes, Marriott would have definitely shaken the Stones up in a big way (especially if they had let him sing - he would have blown Jagger off the stage.)

Yes, Humble Pie started out as a democracy, but there was eventually a tug of war between Frampton and Marriott, which Marriott ultimately won (ironic since it was Frampton who started the group and subsequently invited Marriott to join.)

I thought Pie was at its best when Frampton was still in the group.

Although I enjoyed the later records with Clem on guitar, I thought "Rockin' the Fillmore" represented the peak of HP's artistic prowess - due in large part to PF's inimitable guitar work.

I appreciate that kind of rock history - thanks. The Stones with Marriott would have been a truly dynamic band. I would like to have seen that.

I went to school in Champaign, Il in the early '70's and saw a lot of Cheap Trick in a local bar called the Red Lion. It must have been '72 or '73 when they played there a lot. I think they were based in Wisconsin then, maybe Alpine Valley. At that time they were starving artists - Zander had really bad teeth and couldn't yet afford to fix them. A couple other bands that got pretty well known were also Red Lion regulars: REO Speedwagon, who was basically the house band until local pizza magnate Irv Azoff took them, and I think Dan Fogelberg, to LA. Head East was another one.

Regarding Frampton in Humble Pie, I'm in full agreement that they were better with him. Not only was Frampton a great guitarist, he kind of kept Marriott's baser instincts at bay.

Last edited by bombay; 07-26-2008 at 05:19 PM..
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote