Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #2909
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I thought the Mick Taylor Stones were the best incarnation. I was a big Mick Taylor fan from his time with John Mayall (Crusade is still my favorite Mayall album) and was ecstatic when he joined the Stones. I just preferred the Stones with the heavier blues sound. That's their back-bone sound, IMO. Jones was excellent for his time (with the harpsichords, mandolins and psychedelic touches), but that time had passed (it's mostly Taylor on Let it Bleed, the Stones' best album). For me, Ron Wood was always too twangy and loose (and too much of a "light touch") for the Stones. Great for the Faces (and Gasoline Alley) and their kind of "banging around" loose sound, but I've never been fond of his additions to the Stones.
Hard to argue with any of this as I agree with the notion of Taylor era Stones being the artistic highpoint....it was dwindling down by the time he left however.

The only thing I'd dispute here is Let It Bleed being the Stones best album.....as great as Bleed is, that distinction, IMHO, belongs to Beggars Banquet.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote