Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #2898
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
"Goats Head Soup" was rather inconsistent, but it did produce a pretty strong single in "Angie." One of my favorite Stones tunes of all time (esoteric, I know) is "Comin' Down Again" - which is also on that record. I enjoyed "Heartbreaker" too.

Wasn't GHS the last record Mick Taylor played on?
I thought the whole thing was rather sloppy, to be honest. Yeah "Angie" and "Heartbreaker" were the standouts, but compared to the usual standard they had at the time, I thought they were well below that. I'm embarrassed to say that I honestly can't remember "Comin' Down Again" at the moment...the only other songs on it that I recall were "Dancing With Mr. D" which blew and "Star Star" an obnoxious Chuck Berry ripoff.

I believe Mick Taylor's last Stones album was It's Only Rock 'N' Roll...a much improved affair, but like Black And Blue after it, rather bland save for the excursions into reggae that later turned into the disco of "Miss You" & "Emotional Rescue"...Yeech.

Quote:
Can't argue with you on the energy point. When I said "garage band" I was thinking about how sloppy the Stones' live shows could be. That sort of thing always bothered me about Led Zeppelin's live show too (especially when the monkey on Page's back turned into an 800 lb. gorilla.) I loved both bands' records, though.
Sloppy can be one or two things IMO...engagingly reckless abandon or just plain careless. I honestly think the Stones stopped caring about the live performance in the mid- 1970's. They've been rote jobs ever since.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote