View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #2897
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Very interesting wiki article, thanks for that. I never knew the background on the album, just kinda took it as an article of faith that it was new (recent) material...my image of them being recharged as they were for Some Girls is now totally blown....assembling outtakes as a "new" album rather than an outtake collection smacks of laziness, no matter how successful it was. I'm also surprised that "Tops" and especially "Waiting On A Friend" date from Goats Head Soup...that was a terrible album, those tracks would've been two of the best on it if they'd been included IMO.
"Goats Head Soup" was rather inconsistent, but it did produce a pretty strong single in "Angie." One of my favorite Stones tunes of all time (esoteric, I know) is "Comin' Down Again" - which is also on that record. I enjoyed "Heartbreaker" too.

Wasn't GHS the last record Mick Taylor played on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
"world's greatest garage band"? I dunno about that....I know a few I'd take over them live...quite a few actually. Garage bands are usually raw and have abundant energy in a live setting, it's been many a moon since the Stones were either live.
Can't argue with you on the energy point. When I said "garage band" I was thinking about how sloppy the Stones' live shows could be. That sort of thing always bothered me about Led Zeppelin's live show too (especially when the monkey on Page's back turned into an 800 lb. gorilla.) I loved both bands' records, though.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote