Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #222
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Now wait:

I thought John Elway was the reason the Broncos won a SB. er I mean...TD...er, I mean.....Rod Smith.

I just cant tell what individual won the Superbowl for the Broncos anymore.

Let's be realistic folks. When you are trying to evaluate individual talent, you cant use SB wins. A SB win is a team achievement. If you wanted to use SBs as a way of evaluating a single player, then you could argue that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino. I think we all know how ridiculous that statement is.

If you want to compare a player to another, then you have to attempt to evauate the team they played for and the effect it had on thier individual statistics. Then try to compare those statistics. The arguement will always be subjective. Fact is, both were good TE's. I happen to be in the camp that feels TG is the better of the 2. But then I'm a Chiefs fan. It's no surprize that most here feel that Sharpe was better.

I think we can all agree that statistically Gonzo will shatter Sharpes statistics when all is said and done. I'm also fairly sure that Gonzo would give up his left nut to have 3 rings.
ftfy.

Regardless, eventhough a SB win is a team accomplishment, you also need good players to get it done (hi 80s Bronocs). While you can't attribute the entire victory to a single player, you can't take away the whole of the accomplishment from them either.

Some players mean more to their teams than just the stats or with their leadership. In Sharpe's case, he's the even rarer player that can do both. Although Baltimore rode their defense to their SB win, it's not merely a coinecednce that Sharpe was a part of leading that team to victory, something that Gonzalez just can't do even when he had talent around him.

Bottom line is chief fans want to just look at things that put gonzo in a better light than Sharpe will ignoring the opposite. I mean, winning SB's is the be all end all in this sport. It's why they play. So saying that a player that has won 3 but it has to be thrown out in an argument only because it doesn't help your side of the case, is just ludricus. It's the mantra of the perennial loser and it gets old.

We can all agree that Sharpe and gonzo are two of the all time greats at the position and we've been lucky to see them play. However, history remembers winners, and as such, Sharpe will always go down at the better of the two in every region of the world outside of Kansas City. This is why it's too bad for gonzo that he never got out of KC while he could.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 06-22-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote