Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The on ice banter is kinda funny sometimes

Ben Kuzma, The Province
Published: Friday, February 29, 2008

Alex Burrows must dig into his wallet for more than spare change, but vows not to change his agitating game after being fined an undisclosed amount Thursday.

In a telephone conversation with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell following practice, the Vancouver Canucks winger was informed his pre-game incident with Detroit Red Wings pest Aaron Downey at centre ice Saturday at GM Place has not escaped closer scrutiny.

"I thought we had moved on from that incident and I don't know how much [the fine] will be and I'll probably get a letter," said Burrows. "Hopefully, the next pay cheque will be in."

When Burrows checked in for work Saturday, he and Downey sparked a brief scrum during the warm-up.

"He wanted to get his team going and he said he was going to take care of me," recalled Burrows. "I was ready for him. I asked him how his potato farm was doing. He probably likes the french fries the most because he's a little chubby."

Downey responded by spearing Burrows in the pad.

"[Campbell] said I speared him back, but I don't think I did," added Burrows. "He looked at it one way, but they've got a tough job to do and they have to look at the incident and make sure nothing goes on. They've got to do their job and I've got to do mine."

That said, Burrows didn't look like he agreed with the decision. He threw his equipment into his stall and composed himself before facing the media.

"It's a tough one," he said. "I'm looking forward to seeing what [Downey] gets [fined] and what I get. If we both get the same, I'll disagree probably. If he gets more, I'll agree because I was involved."

Regardless, don't expect Burrows to approach tonight's game with Columbus any differently. He has got under the skin of some of the game's better players -- including Ilya Kovalchuk and Vincent Lecavalier -- and will probably target Rick Nash tonight.

"I had a good talk with Colin and he knows what my game is all about," said Burrows. "I'm not going to change any aspect of it."

The NHL had warned teams after the Sean Avery pre-game jawing incident with Darcy Tucker on Nov. 10, in Toronto. They went face-to-face in a heated exchange and fought during the first period.

Avery was fined $2,500 and Tucker $1,000.

"The league sent a memo out after the Avery incident and warned every team and every player that if something happens, walk away," said Canucks coach Alain Vigneault. "Burr has a tough time turning the other cheek and walking away."
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote