View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Malcolm Kelly was one of those three year players. In other words you knew coming in that he'd only be on campus for three years. At 6' 4", 219 lbs he has the size to be a go to receiver in the NFL. He possesses very good speed but his greatest attribute is the fact that he's got great hands. All three years at OU he would make at least one catch per season that would just leave us in awe. Spectacular became the norm for him.

Unfortunately for Kelly he played his freshman and sophomore seasons during the Adrian Peterson era where Oklahoma was a run first team and by the time his junior year rolled around (2007) he was a marked man facing double and sometimes triple teams every Saturday. His best year as a sooner was 2006 where as a sophomore he caught 62 passes for 993 yards and 10 touchdowns.

I'm not sure that we saw Kelly's full potential at Oklahoma. This is a program that put Mark Bradley (Chicago), Mark Clayton (Baltimore), and Brandon Jones (Tennessee) into the NFL in recent years and I think Kelly has the potential to be better than all of them.

The only question about Kelly is toughness. He missed the last two bowl games due to injury and needless to say Oklahoma definitely missed him. Rumors were that Kelly could have played this year in the Fiesta Bowl but chose not to in order guarantee his health for NFL workouts. Regardless, Malcolm Kelly is a phenomenal athlete and will make someone's draft a success.

With all three of their receivers standing 5-10 or less, the Buffalo Bills are looking for a big receiving target for young quarterback Trent Edwards. For the record, Kelly ran 4.5 as a freshman at OU, and, because of injuries hasn't recorded a 40 time since. The Bills released Peerless Price and view Roscoe Parrish as a slot guy, so adding a starting-caliber WR to play opposite Lee Evans is a good idea. Kelly has the potential to be a special player at the next level, as he combines great size with good deep speed and most importantly, excellent hands.

Vitals: 6'4, 219
Stats: 49 rec, 821 yards, 16.8 avg, 9 TD
Pros: Malcolm Kelly has a deep pool of talent. He has a great frame and good build. Has shown willingness to catch balls in traffic and take a hit. Kelly has good athleticism and big mitts for hands which couple with his concentration, makes him the most sure-handed receiver in the draft. Anything thrown in his vicinity will be his even if it means making a dazzling catch. He can go up and catch footballs over defenders. This ability allows him to flourish in the red zone.

Cons: I think Kelly's stock will depend heavily from his pro day workouts where I really wish to see him run. Keep track of his 10 yard dash and short area quickness where he could disappoint. From what I've seen of him, he could struggle to create separation at the next level. It's the primary reason why he disappears from play-to-play, game-to-game. If he tests well, we know that he can be taught to run much better routes, which would really mean he has infinite potential.
Projected Round: 1st-Early

pick made 12:40 pm PST

Last edited by ICON; 02-28-2008 at 06:22 PM..
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote