View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #2509
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Seriously though, check up on k.d. lang, ask your friends. She is widely - and I do mean widely - considered among the greatest of all female pop voices ... that means with the likes of Streisand, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and for my money Benatar and Ann Wilson. You might not care for her style or her music, but there is no denying the voice. That beautiful instrument is not subject to these vagaries of taste.
I'm familiar with her stuff - I was in a few top-40 road bands back in the early 90s that covered some of her tunes.

Quote:
I think lots of things are just imprinted, based on life experience at the time, etc. For example, Peter Frampton's 'Frampton' album - the last studio album before 'Comes Alive' - was imprinted on me at a particular period in my life. I am aware that my love of it is not widely shared, but that really shouldn't matter.
Frampton was one of my top five influences and musical heroes when I was a kid starting out on guitar! (Along with George Harrison, Jimmy Page and Alvin Lee.) I worshipped the guy! From The Herd to Humble Pie to his solo career, I've bought just about every record he's ever made. When I was fourteen and lived in Evergreen, CO, my favorite record was Humble Pie's "Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore." I used to wait until my folks went out, and then I'd blast it at top volume. PF is one of the most shamefully underrated rock guitarists of all time, IMO. After the success of "Comes Alive" the press started focusing too much on all the peripheral show business razzmatazz and not enough on his guitar playing, sadly. During this same period, his career was pretty much hosed by a greedy, short-sighted, and incompetent manager (Dee Anthony.)

Quote:
Another example shared in here, "On the Loose" by Saga, a song I've played at least 100 times the past month and still play during workouts. My adrenaline explodes with that thing, and that's a good thing.
I really dug that tune when I first saw it on MTV c. 1983. Those guys are all really accomplished musicians. I respect anyone who has really put in the time and hard work it takes to master an instrument or vocals - even if I don't care for the style.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote