View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
Signing Andruw Jones was not a mistake for the Dodgers. They needed a slugger and they got a player who hit 51 home runs in 2005 and 41 dingers in 2006. He fell flat on his face last year, but keep in mind he turns 31 this April and has plenty of good baseball left in him.

The Dodgers gave Andruw a two-year contract. Why are you so concerned about them overpaying him? Last season the Dodgers had the highest payroll in the National League at $125 million. A two year contract is not going to financially cripple them.

I probably despise the Dodgers as much as you do, but I don't see where they have so many more question marks than the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Padres. Looking at their depth chart, they look solid at every position.

http://sportsline.com/mlb/teams/depth-chart/LA

They are so deep, they have capable reserves in Andy LaRoche, Andre Ethier, Chin-Lung Hu and Tony Abreu to fill in for their veterans at third, left, short and second. Their starting rotation is seven strong. A fifth starter is more of a luxury than a necessity and the Dodgers have Jason Schmidt and Esteban Loaiza at that slot. That's depth. Their bullpen is outstanding.

On paper, they look as good as anybody in the division. They also have the manager in place to get the most of their talent.
Well, people were claiming about how great Andruw Jones is. The fact of the matter is, he has only hit above .300 once and 40 or more twice. I don't think he will help the Dodgers as much as people are thinking. I see him going back to hitting his usual .260 average, 30 homeruns self.
And the Dodgers, we don't know how some of their young players will play in the big leagues. I'm not saying they aren't talented, but I know of plenty players that I thought would be solid, but now are no where.
And you talk about their starting rotation. Lets look
Brad Penny - stud ace
Derek Lowe - solid #2, although inconsistent at times
Chad Billingsley - had a solid year last year, but has yet to come out and pitch a full year in the majors. Gives up a lot of baserunners, but seems to be on the right path
Hiroki Yuroda - no idea about him, we'll see how he does in the MLB
Jason Schmidt - how well can he rebound from a season ending injury last year at the age of 34?
Esteban Loiazia - 36 years old, only started 7 games last year and had an ERA of 5.79
I like the front 3 personally, but after that, there are unknowns. If Schmidt can regain his old form, then it will be a very solid rotation.

I will say, it seems nearly every NL West team has a great bullpen in the works.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote