Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #2420
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I might buy some of what llama is saying for a guy like Al DeMeola, whom I've always felt was needlessly infatuated with speed and flash, but Larry Carlton is so much more than that ... to marginalize him like you're trying to do llama is like summing up Paul McCartney's career by saying, "yes, he's a very good bass player."

LABF - didn't Carlton play lead on Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years"? Probably a bit too formulaic for your taste, but I always loved that solo.
I thought that was Becker....but I must confess that while I like a lot of Steely Dan (practically all up to the reformation) keeping track of the session guys, from Toto to the usual L.A. studio rats like Skunk and his ilk, is not something that ever interested me in particular.

I will go on record as saying that nothing was more of a drag than playing with the "uber-guitarist" ..the guys who are much more interested in being challenged with complex scales and time sigs than actually having any fun, sneering at anything that doesn't match their "level of musicanship". The constant demand of perfection may be the way of it in the session world but in a band enviroment, nothing sucks the life and fun out of it all quicker than someone like that. Give me an inspired amateur any day of the week instead.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote