View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #275
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Lupul update:

Lupul: Injury was "Scary" Kevin Kurz philadelphiaflyers.com Jan 14, 2008, 1:54 PM EST
Lupul Flyers winger still not cleared for physical activity

(Voorhees, NJ) – Flyers right wing Joffrey Lupul remembers exactly what happened on the play in which he got hurt.

“I just could not get up. I remember thinking to myself ‘try and get up,’ but I couldn’t,” he said on Monday morning. “I kind of lost the feeling in my arms and my legs. It was scary a little bit, especially later that night and the next day when I still didn’t really have the feeling in my hands.

“It was kind of a burning sensation, kind of a pins-and-needles type thing in my hands and through my arms. That was definitely the scariest part about it.”

Lupul was hit by teammate Derian Hatcher, who was trying to make contact with the Toronto Maple Leafs’ Alexander Steen during a game at the Air Canada Centre on January 5. Hatcher grazed by Steen but ended up on top of Lupul and landing on the 6’1’’, 205-pound forward’s head, giving him a spinal cord contusion and mild concussion.

Joffrey Lupul is helped up onto his skates by trainer Jim McCrossin and defenseman Braydon Coburn after getting hit during a game in Toronto on January 5. (Getty Images)

Upon returning to Philadelphia later that night, Lupul was admitted to the University of Pennsylvania hospital and ordered to refrain from physical activity of any kind for two weeks. He is scheduled to see Dr. William Welch, a neurosurgeon at the hospital, again on Wednesday.

“It’s tough for me to really make a good assessment right now seeing as how I have not really done much for the past nine or 10 days,” said Lupul. “I’ve been doing a lot of relaxing and everything feels good. I’ll know more when I am allowed to test myself, exercise and train.”

Paul Holmgren is anxious to see Lupul get back on the ice, but he and the team staff will be very careful due to the severity of the injury.

“We will continue to monitor Joffrey as we go along,” said Holmgren. “Hopefully he can start to maybe do some light exercises later in the week if everything goes okay with his doctor’s appointment on Wednesday [he'll] get back on the road to recovery.”

Lupul, acquired along with Jason Smith via trade last summer from Edmonton, was playing some of his best hockey of the season when he suffered the injury. In the 11 games prior to when he got hurt, Lupul had 10 goals and eight assists for 18 points. He recorded hat tricks on two separate occasions, and is still third on the Flyers in scoring with 35 points.

Fortunately for the Flyers, players like Scott Hartnell and Steve Downie have helped to fill the void left by Lupul. Hartnell has eight points in the last four games (5g, 3a), while the rookie Downie has five points in the last five games (2g, 3a).

“It’s great to see the guys on such a roll right now especially some of the young guys chipping in like Downie,” said Lupul of the Flyers, who are 7-1-1 in their last nine games. “It’s been great to watch, and I am really happy for those guys.”

FLYERS NOTES
The Flyers had a complete day off on Monday and will resume practice on Tuesday at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone. … Hartnell was named as the NHL’s third Star of the Week on Monday.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=349933
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote