View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #308
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default McCarty would play for Avs

DETROIT Now that he's attempting a comeback to the NHL, the question to Darren McCarty on Tuesday night was: If the Avalanche was the only team that came calling, would he play for his former archenemy?

"Hey, beggars can't be choosers," said McCarty, on hand for the Avs game with the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena. "I've learned never to say never. It's something I would definitely consider, for sure."

McCarty, 35, has signed to play for the Flint (Mich.) Generals of the International Hockey League and hopes to latch on with an NHL team down the stretch. He will play his first game for the Generals soon, and thinks he can still contribute at the NHL level once he gets into top shape.

"I don't want to go out the way I did last year (with Calgary)," McCarty said. "I think I can still play. I'm happy to be getting a chance with Flint. I just love the game. Just doing what I still love, for any team, is good."

Count McCarty in as someone in favor of an outdoor game some day between the Avs and Red Wings with perhaps an old-timers game beforehand. Playing against Claude Lemieux, Mike Keane and Patrick Roy again is something he wouldn't want to miss.

"Maybe I could play in both games still," he said, "but the old-timers game might take a lot longer."

McCarty admitted playing for the Avalanche any time in his past would have been unthinkable.

"Then again, I wouldn't have had to ask to play with them then," he said.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote