View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #2345
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Btw - I've been dredging up lots of this early-mid 80s stuff the past few days. Other tunes that (imho) hold up well - stand the test of time - include....
The 80s were a huge disappointment for me as far as popular music was concerned.

When I reflect on the 80s, I can name only two bands that were formed during that decade that I really got excited about:

1) Night Ranger - Great songs, (I'm not talking about "Sister Christian" - dig deeper) great melodies, great hooks, two outstanding lead vocalists, and the jaw-dropping (at that time, anyway) guitar duo of Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson. When I first heard Gillis and Watson playing on that 1982 MTV video "Don't Tell Me You Love Me," my first reaction was "Eddie Van Who?"
Granted, the band did fall victim to the schmaltzy ballad syndrome later on.

2) Scandal - IMO, Patty Smyth was one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time. When David Lee Roth left Van Halen, Patty was Eddie's first choice for his replacement, so that should say something about her vocal prowess.

I couldn't stand the punk, wave, and hairdo metal stuff (just my personal tastes - don't flame me.)
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote