View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #199
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
yeah he is, and he is finally turning into what he was supposed to be, But i have to agree with bronx on this one, i think its too long too soon, with too much unproven. Its not just one good year as he sayd cuz he was putting up these kinds of numbers the last half of last year , but still, not even 1 full complete season and hes gets a contract like that.
Here is why I love the move....

Richards is the best 2 way player I've seen in a Flyer uni in a long long time. While he has not played in the NHl long, there is zero reason to think he will not be one of the best players in this league for a long time (He's already a top 10 all around player at only 22). The biggest worry is health. Not that he is injury prone but when you sign a player to 12 years, if he sustains a career ending injury, he is on your books for the duration of the contract. However, every team has to worry about the same thing as any player can get hurt.

Richards will average $5.75 million for the next 12 years. Imagine what a top tier player will average in 3 years.... Especially when you consider average to slightly above average players are gonna get $2-$3 million this upcoming season. In 3 years, Richards will probably be underpaid. Now, think about 8-10 years from now! That's why this is an incredible deal for the Flyers.

I imagine we will lose Carter or Umberger. I doubt both. Carter has been the speculation of trade rumors all year. I think they know they can't keep both. Carter is the correct choice to get rid of if they have to choose, as he only plays on one side of the ice. Umberger plays well in both aspects (O and D).

We have a ton of young talent that will slide right in to the lineup should we lose Carter (Potulny, Ruzicka, Tolpeko). In salary cap hockey, you can't keep everyone.

I wanted the Flyers to extend some players before the year was over. My top 3 choices in order were, Richards (done), Jason Smith, and RJ Umberger. 1 down, 2 to go.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote