View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #274
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Recchi looking to prove Penguins wrong

The 39-year-old NHL veteran will be in uniform on Wednesday night for the Atlanta Thrashers when they host the Boston Bruins. Recchi, claimed off re-entry waivers by the Thrashers on Saturday, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he believes Penguins coach Michel Therrien was too quick to remove him from the top line and No. 1 power-play unit.

"They'll see," Recchi told the paper. "I didn't get 68 points for no reason last year. In the first seven or eight games [this season], I had a point a game until the coach decided to move me down two or three lines for whatever reason. I still haven't figured it out."

Recchi, who has two goals and six assists in 19 appearances this season, was a healthy scratch for the Penguins in six of seven games prior to being waived on Tuesday. The team had made attempts to trade him prior to that.

The Thrashers grabbed Recchi two days after he initially cleared waivers and was designated for assignment in the American Hockey League. The team will pay only half of his $1.75 million salary, while the Penguins are responsible for paying the other half of the one-year contract.

The two-time Stanley Cup champion, who is playing for his fifth NHL team, also believes he has some quality hockey left in him after this season.

"I want to play a little longer," he told he Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "This year, another year, a couple years - I want to put those people who doubt you to rest."

Recchi has played more than 1,350 NHL games with Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Montreal and Carolina. He won Stanley Cups with the Penguins in 1991 and the Hurricanes in 2006.

The Thrashers and Penguins hook up for three more games this season, on Jan. 12 and 30 and March 2.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote