View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
The Rockies won 21 out of 22 games down the stretch and Holliday batted .367 with 12 homers, 30 RBI and 29 runs scored in September. He also batted .429 with four bombs and eight RBI in Rollins' bandbox of a stadium, with two more bombs there while the Rocks rolled Philly in three straight.
Typical east coast media bias bull****.

Rollins pulled off quite the post season triple crown: He was handed Tulo's Gold Glove, he was handed Hanley's Silver Slugger and he was handed Holliday's MVP.
Votes have to be in before the playoffs start so its imaterial who did what in the playoffs.

Holliday v. Rollins is a valid argument for either side. I'm sure the standard logic behind picking Rollins over Holliday is that Holliday had the benefit of Coors (most sports reporters seem unaware that Philly is the #2 offensive ballpark in baseball) and that he's a corner OF with only ok fielding skills. Rollins isn't nearly the hitter, but he was still a premier hitter in the NL and he was arguably the best baserunner and defensive SS in all of baseball. His team also won their division while the Rockies needed a hot September just to get a playoff game with SD.

I think the last fact is particularly important because as I said, ballots need to be in by the end of the regular season. So all those writters who don't believe in giving MVP to a player on a non-playoff team wasn't assured that Holliday met such criteria. I think this was a big blow against him as well.

Braun getting ROY over Tulo is stupid though. Thats a very good reason for b****ing. He hit marginally better but played in 40 less games and was a defensive butcher while Tulo is a future GG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote