Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sopel stiffs the wings

Stiffy

Weird. Brent Sopel travels to Toronto with the Wings yesterday, only to tell them he’s signed a one-year deal with the Blackhawks. It makes sense, from a fashion standpoint.

A2Y Reader, SRT

good luck with your fellow giveaway partner with the equally dashing hair…

Let’s see what we can find on this one, eh?

Around 8:20 last night the Leafs announcers told us Chicago has signed Brent Sopel to a one-year deal worth 1.5 million. TSN confirmed it a few minutes later.

Sopel travelled with the Red Wings to Toronto on Friday afternoon, and was scheduled to play against the Maple Leafs in a pre-season game that night, but informed the team shortly before the game that he was in serious contract talks with another club.

Pretty straightforward, right? Read further.

He had been in Detroit’s training camp on a tryout basis, and was offered a contract by the Red Wings shortly before signing with Chicago.

He’d been offered a contract by the Wings, then signed with Chicago? What? Yep. Not only did the Wings offer him a contract, but they did it twice. They tried to sign him Thursday, then again yesterday. He was supposed to play last night, then said “nope. not playing. not gonna play and you can’t make me.” Exact words? No.

Bruce MacLeod is all over this. Refers to it as a “defection.”

“I don’t know the rules for sure, but I thought when he was trying out for you, he was trying out for you,” said Babcock. “He just told me before the game he wasn’t playing. Obviously we were planning on him playing. I guess I don’t know the rules very good and we’ll have to figure it out.

“If you don’t want to be a Red Wing, you don’t want to be a Red Wings. It’s real simple. I think the opportunity here is fantastic. Over the last few years, anybody that’s come here has had a career year. If we just look at finances, if you have a career year, you get paid a ton the next year.”

Babcock’s right. What a frigging dumbass.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote