Originally Posted by DomCasual
Okay, I am basically going to respond to myself here.
I actually like LABF, for the most part (I'm sure he'll sleep better tonight). I like that he's passionate (even though sometimes I wonder if he is an employee of the DNC
). I just don't know anyone
who doesn't cross lines occasionally when it comes to politics - if they are being honest. I generally vote Republican - especially as I get older. But I can look at a guy like Obama and be pretty intrigued by him. What makes others label him as naive is what I find refreshing about him. I don't think he's a cliche, and I believe he's genuine in the things he professes to believe. And maybe we need someone willing to "reinvent the wheel" a little, at this point. I'm not sure I could vote for him, but I'm not sure I couldn't.
Actually, I doubt I could vote for him. I could
vote for a Democrat, though. I never approach an election saying, "I don't care who the Republicans throw out there. It'll be better than the alternative."
And that's just my point. I don't want to read about the left or right pat answer to every issue. I am interested in real opinions. I am open-minded in the belief that neither side has all the right answers. Philosophically, I lean right; but as I have said before, I am just as turned off by the right-wing crazy as I am the left-wing crazy.
That said, I think LABF is a pretty decent guy. I should have never mentioned him in the same context as a guy like freak6, and I apologize for that.
Thanks for the diplomacy.
As for the "DNC employee" thing, I told the Democratic Party to take me off its mailing list and to pound sand about two years ago. I know you don't spend a lot of time on the WRP forum, so I understand if you missed this.
I'm pretty disgusted and disenchanted with the Democratic Party right now for reasons that are probably obvious, and, at present, I'm apt to sit the '08 presidential election out (unless Gore runs.)
As for the whole liberal/conservative continuum you addressed, my positions on some issues could probably be construed by some as 'conservative.' For example, I'm against the legalization of marijuana and other mind-altering drugs, I'm against any form of amnesty or sweetheart deals for illegal immigrants, (in fact, I agree with Pat Buchanan's ideas re: a moritorium on immigration) and I'm generally pro-law enforcement and pro-military.
I strongly agree with Ron Paul's positions on about 40% of the major issues of concern to Americans (but strongly disagree on the other 60%.)
Hope this clarifies things a bit more.