Turf Shaman
Seasoned Veteran

Use in moderation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
I hope you're right.

The Theodore thing burns my ass. I wanted him gone this season. I was hoping for the buyout, but obviously that's not going to happen.

I guess maybe I'm not giving him a fair shot. I'm still in the old mode where the trade deadline was the most exciting thing next to the playoffs. Of course there were no big splashes made, which I know is a good thing. It's just hard to accept change sometimes.

I love the moves he's made lately though.
Giguere has been in a tough situation. Look what Lacroix left for him:

Theodore
Sakic and Blake bonuses
Brisebois
Turgeon

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty bad right there. Need not elaborate on Theo... The bonuses were triggered because Lacroix declined the option years on their contracts... had Lacroix taken the options they would have been under contract at hefty prices, but at least they'd both be playing for the Avs. As it stood, the Avs were playing $10 million for the two of them, while only having Sakic actually playing for the team, instead of $13 million for both of them and having both of them playing for the team. As a result, they couldn't sign Tanguay or anyone else of note last year. And Brisebois and Turgeon never should have been signed to two year deals. So that right there is basically $14 million dollars in dead cap space left at Giguere's doorstep.

The whole buying out Theodore thing is debatable. I wanted it too, but it would have meant a $2 million cap hit next season, where as now he's off the books entirely after this year. They'd have saved about $4 million this year, but part of that would have to be used to sign a backup. I'd like him off the team but I can see why they'd decide it's not worth it to buy him out.

But I think Giguere has been really shrewd with some of his moves, like extending Bruno for 1.6 million (for a guy that scored 83 pts last year... a steal!) and resigning Leopold for 2 years at 1.5 million (if he's healthy he's worth a lot more). Even the Hannan and Smyth deals look pretty shrewd compared to some of the other contracts being dished out. I didn't really like resigning Arnason, but then McLean went to Florida and got a better contract, and all of the sudden that one looks pretty decent too.
Turf Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote