View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #147
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Time to get FREAKY!

Power forward Kevin McHale.

I've got the two long range snipers, now I want to complement them with an unstoppable force in the low post. I've never seen anybody who was more automatic than McHale down low. The following is quoted from his bio on NBA.com:

"He became the most difficult low-post player to defend -- once he made the catch -- in the history of the league,"
contended former NBA coach Hubie Brown in the Boston Globe. "He was totally unstoppable because of his quickness,
diversification of moves and the long arms that gave him an angle to release the ball over a taller man or more explosive jumper."

He developed a low-post game that featured many moves not previously seen in the NBA or anywhere else. McHale had a grab bag
of drop steps, head fakes, pump fakes, baby jump hooks, shovel shots and fadeaways that confounded even the best defenders.
Anyone who drew McHale as an assignment was in trouble. He had no preferred spot. He could set up on either the right or left box.
He could take the turnaround from either the baseline or the middle and he had extraordinary range. He could catch and shoot immediately
or throw a head fake as the situation demanded. Amazingly, given his gawky legs and disproportionately long arms, he had extraordinary
balance. He had become a force on the inside at either forward or center.

• Elected to Basketball Hall of Fame (1999)

• Ranks ninth in NBA history in career field goal percentage (55.4%)

• NBA champion (1981, '84, '86)

• Seven time All Star (1984, '86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91)

• All-NBA First Team (1987)

• Sixth Man Award (1984, '85)

• All-Defensive First Team (1986, '87, '88)

• All-Defensive Second Team (1983, '89, '90)

• Named to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)

The Flying Lithuanians
SG - Jerry West
SF - Rick Barry
PF - Kevin McHale
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote