Thread: Seafood...
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #33
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I grilled fresh talapia once, but imo it wasn't as firm as salmon or tuna, but more importantly the flavor was sort of neutral, unlike salmon or tuna, and I'm not experienced with marinades and fish, so I've stuck with baking and pannaying. But, then again, if one seasoned the talapia ... I found this on foodtv.com, and the jamacian jerk marinade might just do the trick.

Spicy Grilled Tilapia with Creamy Grits and Mushroom Scallion Sauce Recipe courtesy Saptosa Foster, Atlanta, Georgia, 1st Place Entree
Show: Food Network Specials
Episode: Challenge: Food Network Super Seafood Grill-Off

Mushroom Scallion Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms (cremini)
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper
Grits:
5 cups milk
1 cup quick-cooking grits
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Grilled Broccoli and Carrots:
1 large bunch broccoli, sliced lengthwise (with stalks and florets intact)
1 bunch whole carrots, tops removed, sliced lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Tilapia:
6 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/3 cup Jamaican jerk seasoning marinade

Mushroom Scallion Sauce: Melt butter in a large saute pan. Saute mushrooms and scallions for about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and heavy cream. Season with garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir until sauce thickens slightly. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Grits: Bring milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly for about 3 to 5 minutes until grits thicken to desired consistency. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Grilled Broccoli and Carrots: Heat grill to medium. Toss broccoli and carrots in olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Grill vegetables for about 6 minutes or until tender, turning them once halfway through. If room allows, grill tilapia at same time.

Tilapia: Heat grill to medium. Rinse and dry fillets and then rub with jerk seasoning. Grill tilapia for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.

Plate entree by spooning grits on center of plate. Lay tilapia on top of grits. Lay the carrot slices on top of fish in a criss-cross manner and place broccoli stalk on the side of fish. Top with mushroom scallion sauce and serve immediately.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Other Recipes from this Episode
Red Pepper Frutti di Mare

btw, I'm a big fan of talapia. First, it's raised in the US. Second, if raised properly, the fish eat vegetation which their own waste causes to grow. Thus, if properly raised, talapia don't have commercial feed and antibiotics. The question of course is "who raised the fish."

This brings up a moral question that's been troubling me. The largest supplier of frozen fish here is aqua star. I read an article in natl geographic from last winter about how workers processing fish in N. China are treated. They must leave their children behind in their villages with relatives, and then live in cold dormatories, working long hours and are underfed. The couple in the natl geog article described how they cry when they leave their child during their once per year visit, and how they just try not to think of her during the year. I notice Aqua Star has a processign facility right there. Not owned by aqua star itself (of course it isn't) but more an independent contractor.

This sucks. But, without aqua star, these people would have even less. I need a frozen salmon filet for a brunch we're gonna do after my daughter has a church thing next month. Buy it, and get over it? Or find something else for the brunch?
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote