Old 12-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelvin View Post
You gotta love it when a guy posts the worst numbers of his career and it's a 3.80 ERA. In the NL that equates to 3.20. I'll take that.

Overpaid, no doubt. But the entire market is overpaid. Atleast Zito has flawless mechanics and is the best bet of any SP in the majors to take his turn every 5th day. Durability is GOLD, and that's what they paid for. Schmidt has been on the DL at one time or another every year the past 4 years. He is now 33. He's a pitcher who relies on sheer power yet his fastball that once was 98 is now 92. His best days are long gone.

As crazy as this sounds, this is a safe move for the Giants. They know what they're paying for. Can the Dodgers say the same about Schmidt or Penny?
Actually Zito's worst year was in 04 where he put up a 4.48 ERA and an 11-11 record. However, I agree that durability will be his strength...

Injuries are going to play a key role in who wins NL West, if the Dodgers can keep their pitching staff healthy and continue to develop their young lineup, I give them the slight edge over the rest of teams in the NLW. I really like what the Dodgers have produced from their farm system of late.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote