View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #55
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
How about Michael Barrett decking AJ Pierzynski?

Now that was a sucker punch that ignited a bench clearing incident, yet no one is calling Barrett a disgrace or talking about what he did giving his sport a black eye. So why exactly is that? Baseball supposedly is against fighting, so it can't be written off as part of the culture as it is in hockey.

Is it because Michael Barrett is white and doesn't have corn rows and tattoos? It certainly makes you wonder.

Oh yeah, Barrett got 10 games for that punch as opposed to Carmelo's 15.

Uh...that's my point.

From the tone of your post you seem to be disagreeing with me, but that pic and the supplemental info on his suspensions directly supports my contention that somehow baseball gets a free pass (no "Thuggs", no "what kind of role model are these punks?" type inquires), but god forbid an NBA player does the same.

Are you agreeing with me then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
If you think you hit a nerve, keep telling yourself that. Since you've played hockey, I now think even less of your argument since it is so shallow with regards to hockey. It makes you look like you're just throwing any comparison out there, no matter how tenuous the similarities are, in order to make your argument look strong through the number of examples you've used. Hockey doesn't deserve to be in the discussion when there isn't an automatic suspension for dropping gloves. Once Melo took a swing, there was an automatic suspension. See the difference? That's why no one bats an eye after a hockey fight. Race doesn't have anything to do with that.

Woody Paige agrees with your premise that race is the reason some view the NBA is thuggish.
Then where is the outcry about the above pic? Why aren't there posts decrying the thuggishness of baseball and how they aren't role models and all that?
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote