View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #46
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
My point isn't about the fines or suspensions. They are clearly warranted if more draconian than most precedent.

Every league has their own standards. My point is the double standard that appears to exist when NBA players get involved in an altercation. I don't care what Stern does, as that is his wont, Player's association grievances notwithstanding. It's the strange doublespeak that occurs where the NBA is full of thugs, but baseball can clear benches and hockey can have a fight every night.

Are the Cubs/White Sox thugs for their altercation? Or how about every hockey team at least once this year?
Your hockey comparison is terrible and you sound like someone who knows very little about the sport besides the fighting aspect. Basketball wouldn't be considered a league full of thugs (and I'm not saying it is) if guys squared off on a regular basis and it was an accepted part of the game, i.e. no suspensions when there is a fight. That's where your hockey comparison is so weak. It's a part of the game. Guys aren't automatically suspended just because they dropped their gloves like they are in basketball. That has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with what is an accepted part of each sport.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote