Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #455
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Tale of Two Cities, by Patrick Roy

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...12/2066427.asp

Remember the uproar in 2001, when Dominik Hasek had the audacity to say he would wear the Detroit Red Wings sweater over that of the Buffalo Sabres upon entering the Hall of Fame? It took months to get over that little slap in the face, but it shouldn't have been more than two seconds.

Hasek picking the Wings was in response to an unfair question. Players don't enter hockey's Hall tethered to a particular team, the way they do in baseball. The Dominator will waltz in the way he would prefer, by himself, assuming he'll someday follow through with his retirement plans.

Good thing Patrick Roy wasn't forced to pick a sweater before entering the Hall this week. He wouldn't know which to choose, the Montreal Canadiens or the Colorado Avalanche. He won two Stanley Cups during his 10-plus seasons in Montreal and two more in seven-plus seasons in Colorado.

It's like asking him to name his favorite child.

"It would have been a very tough decision," Roy said during a conference call last week. "Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that decision. I played for two solid organizations and won with both of them. They were both were willing to do whatever it takes to win the Stanley Cup."

And so was he.

Roy had a reputation for being arrogant, built when he was young and brash early in his career, but more than anything he'll be known as a winner. He retired with 551 career victories, the most ever. He had a record 151 victories in the playoffs, including 23 postseason shutouts. In 1993, he won 10 straight overtime games for the Canadiens.

"I had a better feeling going to my house and winning, 7-5, than losing, 2-1," Roy said.

Along the way, he was also a three-time Vezina Trophy winner and a three-time Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the postseason. The Canadiens initially wanted him to be a standup goaltender, but instead he perfected the butterfly style that became the standard.

Martin Brodeur has a chance to break his records for victories, playoff victories and postseason shutouts, but many insiders view Roy as the best goalie in history. He was a unanimous first-ballot choice for induction, and he will officially enter the Hall on Wednesday along with forward Dick Duff, former NHL Chairman Harley Hotchkiss and late, great U.S. Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote