View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #407
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Oiler fans stewing over blown call...

Quote:
Stars edge Oilers after 'blown call'
Roloson argues with Peel

Roloson argues with Peel

Canadian Press

11/4/2006 2:25:26 AM

EDMONTON (CP) - Even the referee agreed the Edmonton Oilers might have gotten a bad break in Friday's 3-2 loss to the Dallas Stars.

With just four seconds left to play in the game, Ales Hemsky looked like he had scored on Dallas goalie Marty Turco but referee Mick McGeough called the goal off. He had blown the whistle a heartbeat before on the face-off, convinced that Shawn Horcoff had made a glove pass off the draw.

It was something the replays showed did not occur.

Upon further reflection, McGeough agreed.
Related Info

* Highlights: DAL3, EDM 2
* Oilers Report

"It was a blown call on my part," he said after the game. "It was poor judgment on my part. I thought he had his hand on the puck on the face-off but it was his stick. My judgment was poor on the play."

The soldout crowd at Rexall Place littered the ice with debris following the call.

"It was a retarded call," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish snapped. "There is no other explanation for it. I know he is a veteran official and at times I have found his antics humorous. But if this is the product of that there is a problem.

"It was a ridiculous call. I had no idea what he had called. Nobody saw the hand pass on the play because quite clearly there wasn't one. It's beyond reason.

"He should be suspended."

While Turco was sympathetic toward the Oilers, he said he heard the whistle and had stopped moving on Hemsky's shot.

"The whistle had gone a long time before the puck went in," he said. "That's what we were going off of. It's a tough break for them. Who knows what would have happened?

"But the whistle went as he was shooting. I had already reacted to the whistle. I could have smothered it or swatted it away. I'm sure they are disappointed but by no means should that be thought of as a possible goal."

Dallas (11-2-0) opened the scoring with a controversial goal when Brenden Morrow beat Oilers (7-6-0) goaltender Dwayne Roloson with a wrist shot during a scramble in front of the Edmonton net.

Roloson contested that he had been interfered with on the play by Eric Lindros, but the goal was allowed.

"It was pretty clear what happened to me but obviously not clear enough," said Roloson, who will have to wait to try again for his 300th career NHL game on this night. "He said I touched the puck but it doesn't really matter when a guy comes in the crease and takes me out of the play and they score a goal. It's a no goal and a penalty. It was blatant."

There was no dispute on the Stars' second goal of the game.

With just under two minutes to play in the first period, Dallas broke out on a two-on-one and Stu Barnes was able to thread the puck under sprawling Oilers defenceman Jason Smith to Niklas Hagman, who had a wide open net to shoot at.

The Stars outshot Edmonton 14-5 in the first.

Edmonton came out firing to start the second and got a big break four minutes in when Ryan Smyth's shot from behind the net went in off Turco's leg.

But the Stars were able to restore their two-goal edge late in the second as a seemingly innocent point shot by Trevor Daley eluded Roloson with just 58 seconds remaining in the period.

For the second game in a row the Oilers were able to get back to within striking distance late in the match as Petr Sykora scored his eighth of the season with Roloson on the bench for the extra attacker and just 1:25 left on the clock, setting up the drama of the dying seconds.

The Oilers now head on a five-game road trip starting in Montreal on Tuesday, hoping to improve upon their away record of 1-4.

The Stars head to Vancouver for their second of a four game road swing on Monday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182889&hubname=nhl
Way to go Mick Magoo.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote