View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #1920
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I always liked Radios Appear but I thought a little too much was made out of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but it's spotty and it doesn't hold a candle to the early albums by The Saints (their main Aussie competition at the time). When it's on, it's great ("Aloha Steve & Danno") and when it's bad....it really sucks ("Man With The Golden Helmet").....there's a couple of Stooges and 13th Floor Elevators covers on it as well. It sounds as if they've improved in the material dept. given what you say..then again..it has taken them about 30 years to finally follow up Radios Appear, so they should have.
Yeah, I didn't really think there was any major slip up on the new album. Some tracks were less exciting than others, of course, but nothing that was worse than above average.

There is an "Essential" Radio Birdman album available; based on what you've said re: their spottiness, it seems like that would be the way to go when I buy another of their albums.

BTW, Hogan--what do think of the new Yo La Tengo? I think it's definately their best album since I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. I could do with shorter versions of those three long, spacey jams, but otherwise they knocked this one out of the park. "I Should Have Known Better" is the highlight for me.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 10-02-2006 at 08:12 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote