View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #395
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

As I mentioned previously, I forgot just how good a read "Jumper" by Steven Gould, is. The sequal, called "Reflex," is not as good, but is still a very good read. "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata was also quite good. I haven't quite finished "2001: A Space Odyssey" yet, but it is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. It's odd though, that 2001 was based on the original screenplay, co-written by Kubrick, not the other way around. Still, the book is much better than the movie (while the movie is still a great one). There's so much detail that wasn't in the film, especially in the first half. The wole thing with the monkys now makes sense. Much of the hypothesising done by Clarke is amazingly accurate, especially considering it was written in 1967. I've never read much of Clarke's work having gotten caught up with the modern sci-fi writers. That's gonna change!

I also made a trip to the thrift store the other day and scored big time. "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham, "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz, and "Dept of Honor," "Executive Orders," The Bear and the Dragon," "The Sum of all Fears" and "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy. All first editions, all for $11.00. Looks like I'm going on a Tom Clancy binge very soon.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote