View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #12
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
There have been some epic baseball pennant race swoons in my lifetime. The 1978 Red Sox and 1969 Cubs blew double digit leads in August. The 1995 Angels lost eight in a row in September and then lost a one game playoff to Seattle. Still, nobody choked harder than the 1964 Phillies. Holding a six and a half game lead with 12 to play, Phils manager Gene Mauch panicked, alternating Jim Bunning and Chris Short on two days rest down the stretch, blowing the pennant to the Cardinals.

The 2006 Cardinals seem to be trying to restage the Phils epic collapse. Holding a seven game lead with 13 to play, St Louis has dropped eight out of nine, while the surging Astros have won nine straight. The Cardinals lead has been whittled down to half a game in just about ten days time.

Jeff Weaver takes the mound tonight with his 5.79 ERA to try and stem the tide against Chris Capuano and the Brewers. The Cardinals were crushed by Milwaukee 9-4 yesterday. Brewer starting pitcher Doug Davis yielded eight walks and still got the victory.

I have this pic as my back ground, love it!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote